I’m trying to get a job in IT that will (hopefully) pay more than a usual 9 to 5. I’m been daily driving Linux exclusively for about 2 1/2 years now and I’m trying to improve my skills to the point that I could be considered a so-called “power user.” My question is this: will this increase my hiring chances significantly or marginally?

• Creat
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

It highly depends on the job. Some companies run fully on Windows, no exceptions. There it obviously would not help. But many still either host various services on Linux, or buy hosting/cloud commuting that is Linux based. There it might even be necessary.

It also depends on what you mean by “power user”. I would generally advise you to look into the server side of things. In my work, there are zero Linux machines that have a GUI of any kind installed. t The 50 or so Linux machines are all administered through SSH and Shell.

• dino
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

This! Also if you company only employs windows machines … run.

• LeFantome@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Or just start introducing Linux containers and VMs that run on Linux. You can use Docker Desktop and Putty from Windows.