I haven’t watched TV in years; kids and my previous job really killed that.

There’s SO much out there since I last picked up a remote, and I have a fucking huge backlog.

I’m open to anything, as long as it’s well done.

Series I liked: Vikings, Norsemen (hysterical), The Americans, GoT, Man in the High Castle, Expanse, Spartacus (Batiartus is amazing)

I’m scratching the surface of Boardwalk Empire, but open to other rabbit holes.

• SkaveRat
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

what?

SNW and Lower Decks is pretty much as good as star trek can get. I’m on the fence about prodigy, but people generally are also very positive about it.

disco has its fair share of problems, but the later seasons were also quite good

• insufferableninja@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The spore drive is such a fundamentally stupid concept, i can’t believe this show was green-lit. Not to mention that it suffers from the same “more advanced technology than TOS, despite being nominally a prequel” problem that Enterprise does. They should have started from 900 years in the future, IMO.

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

the tech itself is not more stupid than any other of the space magic in the show.

I agree that it would have been much better if they didn’t do it as a prequel. But they basically retconned it into a future-timeline show in later seasons. Which helped a lot.

My main problem (and that of a lot of people) is the complete focus on michael. and forcing a TOS connection of her via spock. It makes the universe feel small.

Later seasons focused on more characters, but never could shake michael as a center point

• mobius_slip@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Lower Decks is great if you’re already a fan of classic trek ie TOS, Next Gen, Voyager, and DS9. I would never recommend the show to anybody who wasn’t a big fan of Star Trek already as most of the really good jokes would go over their head.

Strange New Worlds is a fantastic starting point though IMO.

• fernandofig@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m very torn on disco. Season 2 is probably the best (due in no small part that it sets up SNW), but the rest are a chore to watch. Most of them have some neat ideas, but they’re badly executed more often than not. They also were too heavy handed with each season arcs serialization, most episodes don’t stand on their own, and the writing and consistency is just bad. I just finished the final season, and I’m glad they’re done with it so they can put more money on good Trek like SNW - hopefully they don’t screw it up eventually.