Covering large parking lots with solar panels is an idea that goes back decades but in America at least it’s an idea that has never really taken off.

What is the reason for that? Is it due to the overall cost or is there something else that keeps Walmart, Target, Costco, Sams Club, Malls, etc. from covering their parking lots with these panels and selling the power?

• _edge
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I believe, this is because it’s not yet a business model (nor a legal requirement). The first questions is, who even owns the lot and who has to power to make changes? Then, who gets to use the power output? Do you use it on-site or feed to grid? Do the local utility work with you or against you? (Hint: You are competitors now and running a grid is not free.)

That’s just speculation, why solar-covered parking lots are not yet build much. The idea totally makes sense. It will probably take a either a startup company that figures out how and sells the solutions to the owners or a local government pushing for more solar.

To those saying, it’s cheaper to build on a roof. Maybe, then do the roof, first, if it’s feasible. Is it cheaper to build on undeveloped land or farm land? Maybe, if you live in the middle of nowhere or drive a significant distance to do your shopping. Still, plenty of opportunity to build over parking lots.

• Usernameblankface@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I’ve seen other discussions come to the conclusion that rooftop solar on a warehouse size building would be more expensive than the whole infrastructure of parking lot shades. They said that the entire structure would need reinforcement. Not a problem on new buildings, they can be designed to take the extra weight from the start

• Codilingus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

A girl I dated works for a company that has a “rubble site,” they essentially tried solar on the roof, and it eventually collapsed the roof in and ruined the entire building.