I’m trying my best to dive back into the past and play all the gems that I missed as a kid because I was either born too late or too much of a kid to consider playing them. I found myself really disappointed going back to the old mario nes/snes titles because they felt really bad to play as I’ve become accustomed to modern platformer design sensibilities (like coyote time and responsive movement).

Are there any oldies+goldies that have stood up to the test of time and not shown their age in the same way? Or are so good that they’re worth playing despite showing their age? Preferably avoiding racing, sports, and final fantasy-esque titles. Not really interested in anything more recent than PS2 era either.

I already have Earthbound in my sights as it isn’t one I’ve played before but it comes highly recommended.

• 2xsaiko
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The main patch you’ll want is TFix/T2Fix, posted on TTLG Forums. I think it comes prepatched from GOG, on Steam you’ll have to patch it yourself.

@comicallycluttered@beehaw.org what do you mean by very clunky? I don’t think they are at all. Except maybe the default control scheme which is pretty bad today, but you can rebind everything (or use my bind file, works for both games)

• comicallycluttered@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Maybe “very” was too strong a word, but I mainly meant the melee combat.

Although to be honest, other than the blackjack, people shouldn’t really be using melee much, so it’s not that much of a problem.

It’s mostly when the zombie dudes come into play that the sword combat can feel dated if you take them on directly.