Undocumented immigrants paid almost $100 billion of taxes, underscoring the importance of border policies on the country’s tax collections, according to a new report.

One of the most common arguments for curtailing immigration is the cost borne by the US government. But undocumented immigrants pay more than a quarter, about 26%, of their income in taxes, in line with the median taxpayer, according to a report released Tuesday by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, a left-leaning think tank.

In total, undocumented immigrants paid $96.7 billion, or roughly $9,000 per person, in taxes in 2022, the report shows. While their incomes are usually lower, they’re less likely to claim refunds or earn tax-preferred income.

About one third of the total dollars collected from undocumented immigrants funded programs they’re mostly barred from using, including $26 billion to Social Security and $6 billion to Medicare, the report said.

• skuzz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I started watching this 1950s TV series called The Fugitive that was on some cable channel 10 or so years back. (The movie was based on the series.) There was an episode (in the 1950s) about illegal immigrants, and how they are needed to pick crops, and California is on fire and they need firefighters for a big wildfire. At the time, I just went to myself, “well, these problems have existed for a long time.” Obviously climate change has added a shit twist to the fire part, but how much string-pulling has politics dragged us on forever with alleged problems they never solve so they can keep their votes and power?