Low hanging fruit, but whatever. It is what it is.

• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Good luck opening more than like 5 browser windows on those old thinkpads

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The refurbished thinkpads you find are usually three years old after the companies who lease them buy new ones for the users.

You can do a lot of things with a three year old thinkpad…

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

ah fair enough, my bad, I thought people are always talking about the older style thinkpad

• Vuraniute@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

here it’s typically early-to-mid 2010s thinkpads being sold, so you’re probably getting a laptop with horrible performance

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

4th and 6th gen intel isn’t too bad yet (which would be early 2010s), especially for a Linux desktop/laptop. I wouldn’t go older than that just because 4th and 6th gen is so readily available for so cheap, but they certainly aren’t anywhere near e-waste yet. Mid-2010s would be more like 7th-9th gen Intel which is newer than all but one of the computers in my home.

I literally use a laptop with a mobile i7-6700 as a daily web browsing computer (and I tend to keep over a hundred tabs open) and really don’t feel any slowness. I’ve got a desktop with an i5-4590 running 5 different Minecraft servers (a couple of which have over 300 mods running) plus most of my homelab services as well. They’re not for the graveyard yet!

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

well, the i5-5300u definitely is, at least for my use cases. it took so long to compile a diesel-actix rust project that the battery died before it finished (it was at 100%), and it can’t even run fucking Minecraft. even a raspberry pi can run Minecraft!

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

it took so long to compile a diesel-actix rust project that the battery died before it finished

Wait why are you compiling on battery?

and it can’t even run fucking Minecraft.

In what way? My wife plays minecraft with several hundred mods on a (desktop) i5-4560 and I have 5 Minecraft servers running on a desktop i5-4590, and I’ve played plenty of Minecraft on my laptop with a i7-6700u (vanilla, lightly modded, heavily modded, etc.) so I’m confused by what you mean by “can’t run Minecraft”

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

Wait why are you compiling on battery?

power strip died and i hadn’t realised.

In what way? My wife plays minecraft with several hundred mods on a (desktop) i5-4560

different cpu. I’m talking about the i5-5300U specifically. Not some other i5 of the era. Also, this doesn’t really matter but you’re addressing 4th and 6th gen, while the i5-5300U is, obviously, 5th gen.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Yes it is a different CPU, of almost the exact same age and architecture. I don’t have a 5300u otherwise I’d be able to compare directly. I’m pointing to similar processors (remember this was about the time that Intel stagnated. They didn’t improve much from Haswell (4th gen) until about Coffee Lake, and kept continuously refreshing Skylake (6th gen) for years. By memory 5th gen was just rebadged Haswell as well) I do have that I have relevant experience with.

On the Minecraft front I don’t think it’s the processor, I suspect you either have a configuration issue, or a thermal budget limitation. I had a Ryzen laptop that was really good, except it did not have the thermal capacity to maintain a workload, and would throttle itself all the way down to 600Mhz if I was doing something CPU and GPU intensive for a long time (such as running a bunch of VMs and trying to browse the web while using an external monitor)

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 month ago

had a Ryzen laptop that was really good, except it did not have the thermal capacity to maintain a workload, and would throttle itself all the way down to 600Mhz

something something NBLK-WAX9X.

I don’t think it’s the processor, I suspect you either have a configuration issue, or a thermal budget limitation.

i have no idea what it is. I have tried everything.

• uis@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You can install linux on it, you know? Everyone installs linux on thinkpads, you know?