How can I use Whatsapp video call on Linux?

I tried Whatsapp-for-Linux and Whatsie but they didn’t work.

• Tumbleweeds5
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I’m guessing all the people suggesting to ditch WhatsApp have never been to Brazil. Everything there is done with it, you can buy groceries, medicine, do banking, get services, take out, etc… Getting the whole country to change will never happen. So, yes, while some of us do install Signal, none will ever uninstall WhatsApp…

• jherazob@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

We’re seeing the fallout from a commercial service used for public interest communication falling in real time with Twitter, so many public service things that depended or still depend on Twitter have outright broke as it turns into raw sewage and people flee it. That should have NEVER been the main communications medium, and now the price is being paid. I understand as i too am in a place where WhatsApp is near-mandatory, but this is something that WILL have bad consequences sooner or later.

• Tumbleweeds5
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Then people will have a reason to change other than just for privacy concerns…

• T (they/she)@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yup, WhatsApp is basically the Brazilian WeChat. If I uninstall WhatsApp I basically lose contact with my mom and a bunch of other people since I live in Canada.

• devraza@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

my mom and a bunch of other people

People who aren’t very close to you are one thing, but wouldn’t your mom of all people be wiling to install Signal or your preferred alternative?

• T (they/she)@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

My mom is 70 years old and can barely use her phone. It took many years to convince her to get a smartphone.

• Patch@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The UK isn’t quite that far, but it’s absolutely the dominant text messaging and calling app in the UK. Nobody uses the built in Android or Apple tools anymore, and I’m as likely to receive a WhatsApp voice call as an actual phone call these days.

I have Signal on my phone, but I’ve literally never had a cause to use it; I’ve simply got no contacts on there.