“WASHINGTON (AP) — A judge on Monday ruled that Google’s ubiquitous search engine has been illegally exploiting its dominance to squash competition and stifle innovation in a seismic decision that could shake up the internet and hobble one of the world’s best-known companies…”

• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The problem is, if one company dominates search, you have no way to evaluate whether they are doing it well.

• Schadrach@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

The problem is, if one company dominates search, you have no way to evaluate whether they are doing it well.

You could just go to other search engines and run the same queries and compare results.

For example, I did a search on 6 different search engines earlier today looking for a specific Reddit thread related to an update to a certain Skyrim mod without quite naming the mod (because I couldn’t remember the exact name of the mod, and was hoping to find the Reddit thread to get the mod name or Nexus link). All 6 had the Nexus page for the mod itself within the top 3 results, and all of them but Google and Yandex had the Reddit thread in question on the first page.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

If one company is stifling competition, then competitors don’t have the resources required to innovate.

When you look at competitors offerings, you’re seeing the best they can do in a google-dominated market.

Real competition benefits users.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Google forces exclusive deals and its popularity means people optimize for it. Other search engines don’t have a chance when people expect Google.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Who do they have an exclusive deal with? Are there sites you can currently only search on Google? Or browsers or similar that require you to use Google?

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Search engines other than Google seem to be able to index reddit just fine though. I thought the Reddit deal was about API access to make for easier AI training data, also I hadn’t seen anything saying that such a deal would be exclusive to Google.