• geophysicist
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

This is one of those ideas that’s just constantly claimed and constantly rebuked as unrealistic and not feasible

• Sonori@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

To be fair, at least in this case it’s looking into putting the panels on a structure above the road instead of the more commonly suggested drive on panel variation. Still pretty unnecessary for most of the world as spare land is something that’s more abundant, but it might be relevant for more space constrained nations and islands where open fields are more expensive than already government owned roadway.

• Angry_Autist (he/him)@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I’m not a fan of the guy so if you want his channel you need to search youtube but thunderf00t did a pretty decent if heavily sarcastic video, maybe 2, on why current solar panel roads are ridiculously stupid.

• jimmy90@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

ah i think this is solar panel covering as in suspended above the road, not embedded in the road

in india i think they started suspending panels above their canals successfully, i think there are other plans for farms too, that even helps some crops to grow

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

I addressed raised panels in other comments as well.

They work really well in farm fields, and I’m pretty sure India has already begun installing panels on some farms to test for runoff complications.

Canals is a really good idea as long as the panels can be serviced easily without making them to tempting to steal.

Roadside anywhere will always fall to the problem that if you make something easy to steal by putting it on the side of the road, it will get stolen.

• Skydancer@pawb.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              30 days ago

Which is again, not what they’re suggesting. This article was about putting the panels above the road

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                30 days ago

Which is again, why I also covered those in my posts. And since you can’t bother to read my replies, I’ll make sure I’ll never have to see yours again.