SpaceX’s Starship launches at the company’s Starbase facility near Boca Chica, Texas, have allegedly been contaminating local bodies of water with mercury for years. The news arrives in an exclusive CNBCreport on August 12, which cites internal documents and communications between local Texas regulators and the Environmental Protection Agency.

SpaceX’s fourth Starship test launch in June was its most successful so far—but the world’s largest and most powerful rocket ever built continues to wreak havoc on nearby Texas communities, wildlife, and ecosystems. But after repeated admonishments, reviews, and ignored requests, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) have had enough.

• ZealousSealion
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    29 days ago

Worker’s rights transgressions? Yes. Bulldozing a frog pond? Yes. Dumping mercury? No, that makes no sense. I can’t see where mercury would be introduced in any meaningful quantities.

• mrcleanup@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      28 days ago

Well, if *YOU * don’t see any reason to worry we should probably just assume they aren’t polluting then.

Thanks for setting us straight.

• ZealousSealion
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

Well, I hope some will question the validity of this particular claim after reading my comment. Many more will probably question it after reading the comments, from others, that have found the measurements to likely be recorded incorrectly.

If someone made an accusation of pollution with a substance I could see them using or producing, I would be more inclined to believe it.

• mrcleanup@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          28 days ago

Why would anyone question anything based on your comment?

You didn’t link to an article presenting information that supports you. You didn’t link to information showing why mercury in this type of use would be low.

You didn’t present any factual… Anything.

You didn’t even claim to be someone with training in this area that would give your opinion weight.

Your comment is the equivalent to saying you don’t believe elephants are real, but not even saying it is because you have never seen one, which would have still been a weak argument.

Opinions without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

• ZealousSealion
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

Chill.

And don’t think you can convince me that elephants are real.