Kymco has unveiled its newest scooter, the CV-R5. On paper, it seems to have the chops to walk the walk, all while boasting thoroughly ADV-inspired styling.

• Rexelpitlum
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

TIL that the term “adventure bike” is not only used for a certain kind of bicycles…

At least that now makes the heading much less ominous.

• juliebean@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

i’ve never heard the term used to refer to bicycles before, only motorcycles. why would the former make the headline ‘ominous’?

• Rexelpitlum
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

It has been quite a common name for certain types of offroad bikes until the term Gravelbike became more widespread.

But it is still widely used (at least in Germany). An anonymous google test search just yielded roughly a 50:50 mix of motorbike and bicycle results.

And as the term describes touring capable offroad bikes typically with drop bars, I had no idea how a combination with a scooter motorcycle could look like, so that seemed to be very ominous…

Aaaand I am also not quite sure if ominous might not also be a “false friend” of the German word “ominös”. Perhaps “dubious” would be a better expression?

• juliebean@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

that might be so, ominous in english means like, threatening. and thanks for the education! where i’m at, off road focused bicycles are pretty much just called ‘mountain bikes’. though i’m sure there’s more specific terminology in marketing, i am unfamiliar with it.

• Rexelpitlum
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Well… mountain bikes are something completely different actually…

But never mind, it’s the same with me and motorbikes.

The look on the face of your friend after you have called his new enduro a sports bike or so - priceless!