• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

HTC just released a nice Lil $600 phone with a headphone jack and a microSD card slot. Think I’d rather have that.

• pdxfed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Shit I didn’t know HTC were making phones still! Some fond memories for many phones during the early years.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

It’s their first one in ages. They’re trying to re-enter the market. The hardware is pretty good. Not the most cutting edge, but you get the headphone jack and a microsd card slot back, and at $600 it’s way better than the $1,200 bullshit samsung and apple have been trying to shill.

• pdxfed@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          27 days ago

Thanks.

If they embraced the mod community it could be a semi-official pixel replacement. They were always pretty good among oems about low bloat, if they just threw out stock and made only unlocked phones, could even have custom toms pre installed as an option if they really wanted to shake up the market. On of the costs for oems was supporting software updates that fit their bloat into the new android versions–they were always behind Google which was one of the original value propositions for Nexus line before Pixel. With Google going full Evil, there is a spot for someone else to take up the hardware crown.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

Nope. It’s still it’s own Taiwanese company.

• FarFarAway@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          27 days ago

Gotcha.

Upon looking into it further it seems they just bought the design department. That’s crazy.

I used to love HTC phones, and was a loyal customer. Glad they’re trying to make a comeback.

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

Me too. Their needs to be more competition in the US market. I blame the three phone carriers laft. Their phone contracts only offer the most off to Samsung and Apple. In sure Samsung and Apple pay to have it that way, of course.

• BeMoreCareful@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

I feel like I remember Google buying them for the IP. I didn’t know the company existed as a separate entity. I’ll take it as a good thing. I had a couple of HTC phones back in the day.