Switching away from Ubuntu, again, to try Archcraft. Here’s what I think!

Archcraft is for Linux users who want a pre-configured window manager with a unique look out of the box. You get a pretty theme setup, but you can choose from a couple of pre-installed options (10 free themes) as well.

You can pick other window managers like Sway, Wayland desktop session, and unlock access to extra themes on Ko-fi by supporting the developer. So, some can call it a freemium model, and I do not mind that, considering you are paying the dev to give you a refined pre-configured experience, saving all the time to set it up yourself.

But, of course, nothing is ever perfect. Everything has flaws. It is you who pick what flaws you can live with, and what you can’t.

• Ellen
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Quick tip for the author and those reading, instead of doing as in the article noted e.g. sudo nano or the like, you can use sudoedit (or sudo -e). The advantage of this is that it will use whatever you have configured as an editor (through $SUDO_EDITOR, $VISUAL or $EDITOR), and will use your configuration files while editing instead of root’s, meaning if you have a sick custom neovim or emacs setup you don’t have to keep those settings files in sync with the root account. ;)

• vvv@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

More than that, your editor doesn’t run with root permissions, which reduces the risk of accidentally overwriting something you didn’t mean to.

• youmaynotknow@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Almost 6 years using Linux exclusively, and I had no idea this existed. You just messed me up bad. I’m going to have so much fun with this.

Thank you so much.

• Psyhackological@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

I use it at work with many servers like EDITOR=vim sudo -e /etc/samba/smb.conf

However useful when you need some color highlighting or just numers then add it to .vimrc and EDITOR=vim in Bash config.