• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Any info what the exact problem they had was? Can you search for brothels in that app or what? (I remember you can in OsmAnd)

• gedaliyah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      27 days ago

There’s nothing you can find in open street maps that is not also going to have an equivalent in Google maps. There’s no messaging capability in the app. There aren’t even photos, except if you link it with Wikipedia. I can’t think of a single reason why this would get flagged, even accidentally.

• subtext@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

Well some Wikipedia articles could be construed as not appropriate for kids if you’re dead set on removing the app.

I’m thinking of things like Auschwitz or Hiroshima or the Twin Towers where content could be objectionable for children, but also that’s a terrible argument because it’s Wikipedia and it’s a fantastic educational resource.

• schnurrito
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          27 days ago

Wikipedia has images of nude humans in articles about sexuality and genitals, so that would be a possible reason there; not applicable to OSM.

• subtext@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            27 days ago

Good point, that too, though that would presumably be harder to find exclusively through the app since I assume the linked articles are primarily about locations / landmarks

• schnurrito
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

There definitely is data in OSM that isn’t in Google Maps, that is what makes OSM so great! :D

• gedaliyah@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

Absolutely true. I just updated a neighborhood area yesterday that is completely wrong in Google. I didn’t mean to imply that it’s identical, just comparable in terms of content.

• gedaliyah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

But Wikipedia app is on the Google store… I won’t pretend to understand the logic of the indefensible.