According to the Florida Board of Medicine, Dr. Ishwari Prasad couldn’t hear the patients yelling in pain because he wasn’t wearing his hearing aids. He’s not allowed to perform colonoscopies for now.

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

In one instance at the Tampa Ambulatory Surgery Center in June 2023, Prasad “improperly delegated” tasks to a surgical tech, the complaint reads. The tech did not have a medical license but was instructed by Prasad to perform at least one inappropriate task from a list that includes scope insertion, scope manipulation, manipulating an instrument over polyps or tissue, or removing polyps or tissue.

“(Prasad) did not immediately stop the procedure when it became apparent that (the patient) was not fully sedated,” and he failed to realize it because he could not hear the yells, says the complaint. Tasks were also inappropriately delegated to a non-licensed tech during the procedure, the complaint says.

Not once but twice did he instruct a non qualified person to perform medical producers. Pretty open and shut case for pulling his license.

• d00ery@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      25 days ago

Apprenticeships… Probs will not be a popular comment, but there’s an argument for learning on the job, if the apprentice and teacher are both at the right level, it’s safe etc.

[Edit] In this scenario it seems it was not the best choice as the teacher should have worn their hearing aid, but the practice of delegating tasks is not a bad thing in general, imho.

• d00ery@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          25 days ago

Fair enough, I don’t know who, can do what in this scenario.

Edit with a silly comment but I’m not too sure how much a corpse will respond to rough treatment

• medgremlin@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              25 days ago

We weren’t graded on the quality of our dissections, but the exams were based on how good the dissection was. We would have a set of assigned anatomical structures to expose and/or dissect in a given unit, and then the practical exam used our dissections. They would stick a pin in something and you had to write in the name of the structure, what nerve/nerve root innervated that structure, what was it’s blood supply, or what structures should be above or below it, etc. The year before mine got absolutely screwed on one exam because almost no one finished all the assigned dissections, so the professor just stuck a pin on the outside of the cadaver with one of the questions above.

Personally, I was obsessively meticulous about my dissections and when my tankmates (other students assigned to the same cadaver) messed something up, I would get very frustrated with them. I would come in on weekends to carefully expose and clean individual arteries and nerves for hours at a time. The main anatomy professor kept asking me what kind of surgeon I wanted to be, but I’m a horrid little gremlin that likes night shift and hanging out in hospital basements, so I want to go into emergency medicine.

• Bluefalcon
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Not qualified to do. There is no " go ahead and try," if you didn’t get the education first. That is how you kill people.