I’ve noticed my hair thinning and hairline receding since I was about 25 or so.

I’ve been using Collagen and Biotin “thickening” shampoo but never noticed any difference. My dad swears by some pills he started taking.

What’s Lemmy think? Is he just paying for pills that are placebo effect?

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

There’s a lot of people that get their balding stopped with DHT blockers. It all depends on what is causing the hair loss. It isn’t all snake oil.

Most of what you’re recommending is just stuff to treat the dead hair after it grows out of your head, and not treating the follicles no longer growing hair.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      25 days ago

Exactly.

The OP was asking about things other than prescription and medication options, unless I totally misread the post. I’ll go back look, but I’m sure there was something specified about vitamin type products, not stuff like minoxidil

Edit: went and checked, highlighting the part that was the basis of my response

I’ve noticed my hair thinning and hairline receding since I was about 25 or so.

I’ve been using Collagen and Biotin “thickening” shampoo but never noticed any difference. My dad swears by some pills he started taking.

What’s Lemmy think? Is he just paying for pills that are placebo effect?

My entire comment was based on what OP asked, and the background info they gave, not a comprehensive hair loss essay.