Author J.K. Rowling has fallen silent on her usually busy X (formerly Twitter) feed, after Olympic gold medalist boxer Imane Khelif filed a legal complaint in France for alleged cyber harassment over statements regarding her gender.

On August 9, lawyers for Khelif filed a lawsuit with a special unit of the public prosecutor’s office in Paris, stemming from false statements that spread online about her gender after the Algerian boxer defeated Italy’s Angela Carini in her first fight of the 2024 Olympic Games. Carini pulled out 46 seconds into the bout and told reporters afterwards that she had “never felt a punch like this.”

• Sentau
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

The fighter has an intersex disorder which makes their sex ambiguous to anyone that doesn’t have access to their medical record, and she has been disqualified from competing in past events due to failing female tests, Olympics is one of the few places to allow her to compete.

Do you have a source on the intersex disorder claim. I have seen a lot of articles claim that XY DNA was found in her samples by IBA but the IBA never released their medical results nor what tests they conducted.

• OneMeaningManyNames@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

I agree on the intersex thing in unsubstantiated, but I still don’t understand. Nazis claim that a person’s sex should be the one “observed” at birth, legally binding so, end of. Do they fucking anywhere state that this definition excludes intersex conditions? This is the very definition of moving goalposts, and they should eternally stuff it after that, like Rowling did.

(Willie Wonka: Watching conservatives claim there is more to biological sex than genitals at birth, lmao)

Let’s not forget that Rowling accuses the “Trans movement” of dehumanizing people, and then goes on to misgender a born woman for her appearance.

(weeps for humanity then laughs hysterically)

[S]ome of you have not understood the books. The Death Eaters claimed, “We have been made to live in secret, and now is our time, and any who stand in our way must be destroyed. If you disagree with us, you must die.” They demonized and dehumanized those who were not like them. I am fighting what I see as a powerful, insidious, misogynistic movement, that has gained huge purchase in very influential areas of society. I do not see this particular movement as either benign or powerless, so I’m afraid I stand with the women who are fighting to be heard against threats of loss of livelihood and threats to their safety.

I hope this asshole regrets this quote now. Fuck Rowling.