Extreme misogyny will be treated as a form of extremism under new government plans, the Home Office has said.

Yvette Cooper, the home secretary, has ordered a review of the UK’s counter-extremism strategy to determine how best to tackle threats posed by harmful ideologies.

The analysis will look at hatred of women as one of the ideological trends that the government says is gaining traction.

Ms Cooper said there has been a rise in extremism “both online and on our streets” that “frays the very fabric of our communities and our democracy”.

• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

Remember when center-left social-democratic parties were more likely to defend civil liberties, less likely to be authoritarian, than center-right conservative ones?

You know actually I am not sure this was ever the case in the UK (I am old enough to somewhat remember Tony Blair), but in theory it is how it should be and it makes me angry when it is not.

• wewbull@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

I’ve never seen any major party give a shit about liberty. Both major parties in the UK and US are paternalistic in their thinking. They know best and nobody is allowed to disagree.