I remember the last time I tried to find a cheap webcam that works on linux, I gave up pretty quickly and just used my laptop for video calls. Saw this guide to build one with a zero 2, had a spare board in my parts drawer so thought why not. I’m surprised by the quality of it. I’ve been using it for work meetings.

• Creat
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

I think he meant you can use the android phone as a webcam for Linux. There are apps that let you connect via WiFi, and it essentially proxies the camera out.

• retrolasered@lemmy.zipOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Ooh right. I looked at a few of those apps. They seemed a little invasive on the permissions and data collection to me

• udo@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Yes that’s what I meant, I thought Apple is (like most of the time) late to the party with a feature like this. For me it’s built right into the OSes and I don’t have to do anything. If my phone is near to my laptop, I can just select it as a webcam.

When this finally arrived in iOS and macOS it felt like one of those things that Android with Linux/Windows must have had for years tbh. 😅