So I shop around to get some bits and pieces for a good home made meal, and I notice some items say, a pack of vegan burgers, these are more expensive than regular burgers!

I’m not a vegan but I’m curious as to why these items are priced as such, it’s a bit of a pain for people who can only eat gluten free food as those items are priced high too. The bread we get for me grandpapa is pricey for what you get.

Is it different production methods that make it pricey? You’d think with healthier, easier to get ingredients would be cheaper than producing regular non vegan items.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

for the record, all of this is utter and complete nonsense and you are out of your mind, just so no one reads this and takes it seriously.

Modern flash freezing is basically magic that suspends time, you lose maybe 1% of nutrients and even extremely fragile stuff like berries don’t lose much quality so long as you don’t thaw and re-freeze them.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/freezing-and-food-safety

here’s an article from the USDA explicitly stating that freezing doesn’t destroy nutrients.

• lath@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Lies! It’s all lies! Don’t believe the magic-touting adbot! They’re just a freezer shill!

My mistake about nutrients in frozen fresh food. Everything else though, just your average adbot lies.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

genuine question: are you okay? you kinda give off paranoid delusion vibes

• lath@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

genuine answer: oh yeah, I’m fine. Thanks. I was going for that approach. Glad to see it worked.