• HarmlessCake
    link
    fedilink
    Deutsch
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

The best way to get rid oft the spy crap entirely is to get a pixel phone and flashing GrapheneOS (de-googled Android). Dw, it’s not that hard to do, there’s a good manual. Sure you need to find alternatives to google apps, but so far I could get replacement apps for almost everything FOSS from F-Droid store. Some apps cry for play services from time to time, but only a few of them won’t work at all without them. Most of the time it can be ignored. You are able to install a defused sandboxed version if something really needs it tho. If you need an app from play store you can use Aurora Store (Foss play store client). Even E-SIM works without problems. And the best is 7 years guaranteed updates starting with the phone release. The a series is quite cheap (got Pixel 8a for ~460€). I can only recommend this setup.

• HarmlessCake
        link
        fedilink
        Deutsch
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

More than some google bs. They’re open source, you could theoretically look at all the executed commands if you’re not trusting it enough. Sure it could be another binary, but I think most people doing something FOSS (meaning freetime invested not for profit, out of hobby/interest/inspiration) are reasonable enough to not do stupid stuff like that. The way big corps are trying to overtake FOSS projects is the danger. Microsoft bought GitHub to get access to all of the community built software, we should diversify, I’m agreeing. Only a few big companies have taken the internet hostage, we need to free it again. As a community, normally the internet should be a place of plurality, not a few big sites that are the main hubs for everything. That’s what it was intended for

• blarth@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

Being open source doesn’t impart any modicum of security to an app. It does introduce the ability for someone to push malicious code to it and have it accepted by a maintainer. There’s not enough oversight and free labor available to review the code for every open source project throughly.

So, while you may not trust Google with your data, you should similarly not trust FOSS just because it’s open source and not Google.