Biden’s voice was strong and clear, and the crowd was far warmer to him as an outgoing president

• Sauerkraut
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    28 days ago

I think the biggest difference is that it is far easier to recite a static speach he has practiced 100 times than it is to dynamically adapt to a live debate.

• PlasticExistence@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

That joke was based on Nixon losing a live, televised debate to JFK and looking physically terrible during it because he had a cold.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        28 days ago

That cold must’ve hung on a long time, because people said he was just as bad at other events and meetups he went to. People were hoping it was just a bad night, but apparently it wasn’t.

It’s obvious the guy’s highly motivated, and I’ve seen younger men overwork themselves into an early grave. It’s no big shock that his mind isn’t as sharp as it once was. Also, I’m sure having a stutter just makes that even worse.

• aStonedSanta@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        28 days ago

Yeah. That theory actually seems plausible but I’m very very happy he had that cold.

• stoly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      28 days ago

They DO NOT practice these speeches, there’s no time. Rather, they become like actors and are able to just go, pretty much like how news presenters do.

• mlg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        28 days ago

Yeah from a telepromter…

Not that I can really complain since they all use it now, but still. All you gotta do is read while the camera makes it look like you’re looking at the Audience.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

Yeah, the fact that this sounded a lot like one of his anti-Trump stump speeches, coupled with the fact that he barely mentioned Kamala, makes me think he’s been rehearsing this one since before July 21st.