“What everyone is missing about climate change is that it’s not about saving the planet or about science: it’s about people. Earth will survive – it’ll be different, but it will carry on. Humans are the ones at risk.”

• skuzz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

I think the fatalism comes from a place of helplessness. Who is going to survive? The rich. How does a normal person survive or help stave off the worst? They can’t. They’re busy trying to figure out rent and food for next week, while trying to ignore the chronic condition their healthcare system won’t let them fix.

Now, if we all rise up and eat the rich, we might have something. Not sure how one inspires such a necessary movement these days. Especially planet-wide. Plus, it would likely lead to violence, which many are not a fan of, I’d prefer not, myself.

• Burn_The_Right@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      23 days ago

Now, if we all rise up and eat the rich, we might have something.

One of the challenges here is simply organizing such a moevement. The communication platforms needed for that simply will not allow users to plan a revolution.

• Prunebutt@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Plus, it would likely lead to violence, which many are not a fan of, I’d prefer not, myself.

You’re ignoring the inherent violence that’s already prevalent in the current trajectory things are heading towards.