The most useless calendar widget is made by Apple. I constantly forget that someone’s birthday or something important is coming up later in the week.

Now I understand that you can set up alerts and you can set up reminders for stuff. I also understand that you can choose a different size widget. But depending on the size and the amount of events it’s possible it won’t even show you what’s going on the next day in the larger widget as well.

This is forced me to use third-party widgets to display calendar events for the week on my home screen. I hate it because I have no idea if it’s stealing my data.

Bonus Edit! The large widget fails to show you what’s happening today!

• skuzz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

“Please do Apple’s UX work for them, unpaid, of course.”

• undefined@links.hackliberty.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

So you prefer they don’t take any feedback at all so everyone can complain about it and they’re never made aware of the issue. Okay 🙄

• skuzz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

They’re made very aware of things on social media, they internally have tools that scrape social media to surface hot issues. They should be leveraging them. They likewise have instrumentation to see how users use every element of the operating system. If they see that widget being installed->deleted, they should have the metrics to drive “something is fundamentally wrong with this thingy.”

The poor cartoon duplo UX is a fundamental design problem. You’re just buying into the whole corpo “hey we do a beta so you get a voice (but actually we’re just lazy and laid off a bunch of QA to crowd-source their job for the lulz)” experience. It should not be the job of the end user to (unpaid) tell the corporation how to do their job.

Posts like OPs are just surfacing an, “I’m annoyed at this dumb thing” user experience. Venting to others is cathartic, corpo should be smart enough to gather this intel. Filing a bug report that could lead to 60 follow-up questions from the corp that they expect you to keep submitting more information and will likely not lead to any meaningful change is just pointless (because it’s unpaid) work that their engineers should be doing.

Although if a person likes to donate their time to the company they already spend thousands of dollars at to improve the product that shouldn’t have been shipped broken, that person should go ahead and do it.