• Fisch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

I understand having to fiddle with the compression settings can be annoying (I did that for my brother who has a Quest 2) but it’s also something you only have to do once. And you can do a lot of trial and error without knowing exactly what the settings do. Quest 2 is probably best bang for your buck but you can get a used HTC Vive for around the same price. Advantage of the HTC Vive is that it just works with Linux and you don’t need a Facebook account but disadvantage is that it’s not that good. I had one too before I bought the Vive. While the resolution was pretty low, it was fine but the controllers really suck.

• HereIAm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Yeah the issue is I wouldn’t want to compromise quality too much. But I might just start saving up now for whatever valve is cooking up next :) Another issue with using a quest is that you have to run the occulus app (when wired), eating up some of that sweet precious VRAM.

• Fisch
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

I really hope another headset from Valve is coming, specifically because of eye tracking. The oculus app is only needed if you’re not using ALVR. It’s also not available on Linux, which is why ALVR is the only option there.