• Joe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

While I doubt it was planned that way, Biden holding off resulted in some funny trump hissy fits and helped show him up as the weird old man that he is.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Timing that a 50yr+ politician like Joe would understand how to use.

My conspiracy is that he opted to leave earlier than advertised, but kept up the public face just to trap Trump. It wouldn’t be the first time he’s pulled some excellent bullshit to get something done.

• ZapBeebz_@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Not only just to trap Trump, but also to coalesce everyone behind a successor candidate. Because the only thing worse than Biden staying in the race would have been him dropping out and then a dozen Democrat candidates popping up, vying for the nomination, barely 5 months before the election. Further infighting would have handed the election to the weirdos.

• nilloc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

I think this could be a consideration. I also like how it’s a taste of what a short election cycle could look like.

All the other democracies have weeks or possible months to campaign. We have 2+ fucking years of this garbage. It’s exhausting and a total waste of time, money, and governing opportunity.

• DancingBear@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Nah, fairly certain Biden wanted the power, and was willing to lose the democracy to have a chance at staying in power.

I don’t believe for a second he was being selfless on this issue.

It took a all of the dem leadership threatening to forcefully break DNC rules to get him to accept that he is too old.