• Alph4d0g
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 days ago

I’m not sure the book has been closed on this one. You don’t have to be a sov citizen to read the constitution and know that laws get passed all the time that violate civil rights for instance. Laws get overturned when they are challenged and someone has standing. Appeals courts are issuing rulings all the time that reverse what many assume was iron clad and untouchable. Jimmy YouTuber could be wrong but if he tests it and appeals with standing, we might just be surprised by the outcome.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

You can drive all you want on private land without having a license or insurance or registering your car. Some states even have tax-free fuel (especially diesel) you can buy for ag equipment, since the fuel tax is for maintaining roads.

But when you use public roads you have to follow the rules and pitch in towards their maintenance.

• Alph4d0g
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

All true. Most of the argument about free travel isn’t about taxes per se. It’s about being able to travel on those for which you paid taxes without further restrictive encumbrance. I’m sorry arguing for that but at the same time I understand the constitutional case for it.

• rhombus@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

I can guarantee you that most of the right-to-travel people are also 100% against taxes of any kind. I have a coworker who believes no one should need a license or car registration and is also fully against any kind of taxes whatsoever. If you mention public roads he just says “we made do without them before”.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 days ago

Are lawyers taking up cases about stuff like whether the government has a right to mandate holding a driver’s license to legally drive?