It turns out that more technology in cars isn’t necessarily something customers want, and it’s not really improving their driving experience. We know my thoughts on the matter, but I’ll do my best to stay impartial on this latest survey from JD Power that shows most customers don’t appreciate technology in cars unless they can see a clear benefit to them.

JD Power’s 2024 U.S. Tech Experience Index Study evaluated over 81,000 drivers’ experience with “advanced vehicle technologies” in 2024 model year vehicles after 90 days of ownership, It turned out to be a pretty mixed bag when it came to what people liked using. There are a number of tech features that customers like using because they feels that it answers their needs, but at the same time there is a whole lot that don’t get used very often or are continually annoying, according to the survey.

• ClassifiedPancake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 days ago

I love the adaptive cruise control of my ID3. It will not only keep the distance to other vehicles but speed up and slow down automatically based on speed limits and road features like roundabouts or turns not only by what it can see but also knows based on data from HERE.

It’s not always correct unfortunately and not usable in urban areas (should not even be allowed there in my opinion) but on highways it’s great.

But I hate the touch buttons in this car.

• Scrollone@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

I think following speed limits automatically is a now mandatory feature imposed by the European Union.

• ClassifiedPancake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        17 days ago

Yes that rule came a year after my car was released but it does not require cars to automatically adjust the speed, it must only warn the driver.

I recently drove a Jeep Avenger (2023) and it had ACC and speed limit sign detection but it did not adjust the speed based on that.