• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 days ago

I would be worried about water getting into the voids in the infill. You would probably have to fiberglass it to make it actually usable.

• empireOfLove2@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

Fiberglass may be overkill, but you would absolutely need some kind of sealing lacquer around the entire print or it will definitely fill with water.

• Tyfud@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Honestly, some two part epoxy smoothed around it and you’d be gtg. And getting high off the fumes it gives off for the next three years…

• scutiger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

The 3d gloop mentioned in the video is a solvent that’s used for welding PLA. You could definitely use that to properly seal it. And being built from blocks like in the video (which is due to a limitation of the size of a 3d printer) means that any leak would probably be limited to a single block at a time and probably not catastrophic.

• empireOfLove2@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

I suppose that would work too, just solvent and then smear the outer walls of the boat. PLA is not exactly water safe though and will break down/become mechanically weak with long enough exposure. So it would be better to ideally seal the plastic entirely with a laquer

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Alternatively, build a siphoning drain tube so your movement over the surface sucks the water out as you go.

Then you just have to not stop paddling.

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Oh I remember there was a guy that used it to make tiny 3d printed pressure tanks and put propane or something in them.