• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

Your basic argument seems to be that protagonists should not have character development that involves them realizing what a piece of shit they are and then change? How boring.

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 days ago

No, he’s still a cocky privileged shit at the end, I’m saying it wasn’t a convincing arc or character development, and led no where. He was still just “fantasy rich guy” and the message was still just “wouldn’t you like his life!” - the problem is that requires the audience to be VERY immature and stupid to begin with. I never felt a desire to be him or live his life. He seems like a pathetic kind of person really. That’s honestly how I feel about Tony Stark, he seems like one of these rich guys whose not comfortable with himself and uses a cocky attitude as a defense mechanism. I just don’t find that to be a compelling character, nor did I see any real change there.

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

Well, it is based on a comic and that over-the-top personality is just his deal. You don’t have to like him and it’s completely fine to despise him. Not everybody has to like everything. And you are correct, he remains a cocky shit. But he does have redeeming qualities and ultimately makes a huge sacrifice. So there’s also a point in people liking him.