You wouldn’t pirate a medicine, would you?

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 days ago

It is easy to make if you have the know how and some equipment, also if it is already known what you need to make. For example, aspirin is known structurally (unless I am mistaken), so if you have the chemistry know-how and equipment, you can make your own.

However the tricky part is to get it as a safe medicine to take, that you do not have impurities that could be dangerous, toxic. You will need to be able to make quality and safety checks like that. Which I am not sure how easy that really is.

• Maeve@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

White willow bark and devil’s claw root contain naturally occurring salicylic acid, similar to aspirin. Better, but it tastes funky.

ETA: https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/slippery-elm#:~:text=Slippery elm contains mucilage%2C a,throat%2C stomach%2C and intestines.

Nothing wrong with homemade medicine. Just know what you’re doing. I’ve used many, on myself and now adult child. Grandparents on both sides taught me. Their’s taught them. I’ve used comfrey to heal deep wounds on friendly strays.

• TerkErJerbs@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

Along the same line of pain management did you know that pretty much all the poppy seed (for ornamental flowers) you can buy at any garden store are opium poppies? You can grow them easily, then macerate the whole plant and extract in off the shelf alcohol and strain it for essentially laudanum which is great for a sleep aide or pain in low to moderate doses. Quite safe as well, obviously if you don’t abuse it.