• kirk781
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

Samsung isn’t under any sort of pressure. No one is forcing their hand to give updates. Their entry level phones still get 2 years only. Mid level 4 years. Where Samsung loses is price competiveness. Emerging markets are very price conscious. Chinese OEMs offer way better bang for buck than Samsung ever does. Heck, for a random mid level price, a Chinese OEM will give OLED screen, 120 Hz display (which Samsung has only for Flagships) and way faster charging(with an actual charger; and no, I don’t believe Samsung gives a darn about the environment by not bundling chargers, they only do so so they can sell their massively overpriced chargers).

• Skull giver@popplesburger.hilciferous.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 days ago

Samsung is under pressure, though, both from governments (EU Cyber Resilience Act will have consequences for unmaintained devices) and from the markets, bringing economic pressure from consumers who no longer accept their two years of updates when competitors offer a better deal.

I don’t buy the “faster charging” scam, that’s just burning through your battery so you’ll need to buy a new phone sooner. I can wait 30 minutes per day to get my phone charged up, I don’t need 200W to hit my phone battery. If anything, the fast charging is a tacit admission of phones needing to be charged often, covering up their terrible power consumption or small batteries.

• kirk781
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Atleast in charging standards that Oneplus and that some manufacturers use called SuperVooc, two battery cells are charged simultaneously. Whilst fast charging is inherently bad for the battery, it’s not that bad as it’s made out to be.