• Sauerkraut
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

Mind you, living in the Europ I’m pretty happy that at this point in time the impression that people here have of America is pretty low, so people don’t have as much the “I want to be like an American” effect that would otherwise push “American practices” (what people think they are from what they see on TV) here.

For now. Right wing politicians are working tirelessly to make Europe like the US and every election they win will slowly ratchet Europe close to becoming a brain washed consumerist society

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Well, the trend in the last decade or two has been a more or less continuous decrease in people’s opinion of America and everything American, in Europe.

That’s actually reflected in Europe’s Far-Right also: compared to the US version it’s way less concerned with Religion, way less concerned with Homosexuality and Transsexuality, way less prone to things like anti-vacination and anti-mask, and so on.

I mean, I’ve see a couple of times the local far right rabble rousers trying to ape American far right talking points and it just fell flat on their audience.

I mean, absolutely the local far right wants to be as successful as that in the US and they do definitely share the whole Immigration Hate, whilst beyond that the rest of the American far right obcessions don’t tend to go down well in European societies (at least not in the countries I lived in: for example the leader of the first successful far right party in The Netherlands was very openly gay, something unthinkable in the US) and since people don’t want to be more like Americans anymore (nowadays, it’s probably quite the contrary) I don’t quite see how those very American Far-Right ideas will find more acceptance in Europe in the future.