I’m curious what the benefits are of paying for SSL certificates vs using a free provider such as letsencrypt.

What exactly are you trusting a cert provider with and what are the security implications? What attack vectors do you open yourself up to when trusting a certificate authority with your websites’ certificates?

In what way could it benefit security and/or privacy to utilize a paid service?

And finally, which paid SSL providers are considered trustworthy?

I know Digicert is a big player, but their prices are insane. Comodo seems like a good affordable option, but is it a trustworthy company?

• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

There is really no reason to use self-signed anymore. I use Let’s Encrypt even for 10.0.0.0/8 addresses.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Except for the learning process and if you want your self-signed local domains in your lan !

https://jellyfin.homelab.domain is easier to access than IP addresses.

• PlexSheep@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

In that case, i recommend step-ca, which is a certificate authority server with acme support anyone can self host. The setup took a while but it’s been running for months now without problems for me.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 days ago

Yeaaah I already played a bit arround with step-ca ! Right now a make a mini-CA with openssl.

When I get more comfortable with how everything works together I will surely give step-ca another try.

• PlexSheep@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

I found open-ssl to be much harder to use. Do you just manually make new certificates with the CA in CLI?

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

I’ve been doing home networking for many years now and the public Domain + Cloudflare DNS + Let’s Encrypt is the easiest it’s ever been.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Can’t argue against that.

However, I prefer local domain names accessible via Wireguard with self-signed certs. I like to understand how everything works under the hood !

Also, I’m broke AF and buying a domain name (even cheap ones) are out of my budget :(.

• qaz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 days ago

Numeric .xyz domains only cost $1 a year. They’re not great for things like mail because they’re often used by spammers (probably because of the price), but it’s great for cheap signed DNS hostnames.

I point it to the server on my local network and use Wireguard to connect myself.