• tias
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

These are all good points, but please note that I’m not contending whether Wayland can do anything about it. I’m saying it’s misleading (and possibly detrimental) to imply that end users can replace x11 with Wayland. If you look beyond the individual projects, the ecosystem does not function as a complete desktop environment in the way that x11 does.

• ck_
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Well, I guess “complete desktop environment” means different things to different people.

When it comes to gaming then sure, the gap in Wayland is probably larger than the gap in X or the gap in Linux gaming in general.

I have been using Wayland for quite a while now and last time I used it with a “complete desktop environment” like Gnome (which is not my daily driver), I found very few things lacking. In fact, the only thing I can come up with is window sharing of native Wayland windows from apps running in XWayland compatible mode. Given that, I would disagree with your assessment that Wayland driven DEs are not ready for wide spread use.