• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Places that are surprisingly similar to this do exist and unsurprisingly are very fucking nice places to live, and by dint of being high density it’s generally not that outlandish to actually be able to live there.

Look for areas around public transport lines, with a reputation for being largely inhabited by immigrants and poor people, those places at least in sweden tend to be really fucking nice. They get a bad reputation because of racism/classism, but that’s kind of good because it means there’s little competition for the housing and it’s going to be way cheaper than it would otherwise, and having lots of immigrant inhabitants mean there’ll be more neat businesses available to you.

• LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

There are plenty of high density places (usually very expensive in the US) but not surrounded by natural beauty like this. Maybe in Europe you have this I haven’t explored extensively but in the Americas it’s basically nonexistent.

Can you give an example of such a place? The closest that I can think of is Vancouver but it’s one of the most expensive places to live on Earth. And it’s really only some nice parks, not fully surrounded by nature like in this image.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

I’m not american so i can’t speak for that, but here in sweden some examples are Fisksätra in Stockholm, and Gothenburg (my fave city) has two northeastern lines of tram-centric suburbs that are just commie blocks in a forest, a similar slightly smaller suburb to the west which sits at the edge of the urban area, Jonsered which is a group of smaller apartment buildings way out in the forest with a commuter train station, and to the south there’s a new area called Nya Hovås which isn’t quite as removed from other stuff but still has the same feel of being a dense area surrounded by less urban area.

And at least the gothenburg suburbs are perfectly affordable since they have shiteloads of housing and are very much considered low-status areas. Also come to think of it, gothenburg has a bunch of natural (or at least still very pretty green park) areas throughout the city, so arguably many parts of the downtown area count as well.