“I don’t think there’s any question that it’s a form of terrorism,” [Leon] Panetta said on “CBS News Sunday morning.”

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) condemned Israel over the pager explosions, saying the incident “unequivocally violates international humanitarian law and undermines U.S. efforts to prevent a wider conflict.”

• Krackalot
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 hours ago

This was a thought I had when I first read about this. How will this affect other people’s view of communication devices across the world? How many people will stop buying or only purchase items you can open? They’ve created a real fear that this could happen to me in people, which is one way it made it evident to me, then that this is terrorism.

• filister@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Even if you open the device, this explosive was implanted directly into the battery pack, and unless you want to tear down your battery pack or simply replace it immediately after purchasing this product it won’t save you.

• chuckleslord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 hours ago

It spits in the eye of the global supply chain. The whole point of that experiment is to effectively separate labor from the means of production allow each country the ability to produce what they’re best at, allowing for a cooperative/ competitive world.

By shattering the illusion of safely, Israel threatens all of the global neoliberalism power structure. Nothing is scarier for the powers that be.