• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 hours ago

The De’Longhi Dedica is around €140 new and, while it’s not something to write home about, will do much better coffee than an aeropress.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Agreed.

Delonghi does some magic to make a cheap espresso machine actually produce sufficient pressure for a fast brew.

Their old machine, circa 2005 worked, but not well.

The newer ones have been tested numerous times and produce the pressure they’re labeled to, and maintain it across the brew. Mine is always done in just under 20 seconds, and when I’ve (intentionally) over-pressed the coffee into the portafilter it may take 30. The old one couldn’t even handle a we’ll-pressed puck.

The new steamer works far better too. I never did like their old “steam assist” trickery. The new one uses an actual wand inside the “assist tube” . If you take off the assist, it works just like an actual wand. I’m not even sure why the assist tube is there.

Everyone I’ve made an espresso for has been surprised I didn’t pay $500+ for a machine.

For the typical home user, you really can’t beat a Delonghi, given it’s at most $150.