• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 hours ago

Yeah, like, fuck Israel, I’m no ally of Israel, but the pager thing is dubious-but-overblown. I could see it being a war crime, but I could also understand if it was determined a legitimate ruse-of-war by a legitimately unbiased international court.

The fact that they immediately escalated to shelling residential areas afterwards? A bit more damning.

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 hours ago

Yup. I’d say it was legit, given that airstrikes on military targets that might have visiting civilians are considered legit. Like, at the very least that seems like a court case worth fighting, although IANAL.

Literally everything else I can think of has been messed up.

• skillissuerM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

pagers thing is probably illegal pending extra details but it’s not the worst thing that happenes there. not like this case will see hague ever so it’s probably a bit moot on that ground

it’s middle east, there are no innocent orgs, except civilians, and no one has actual incentive to limit civilian casualties. i’d just wish that both likud and hamas lose because neither is compatible with remotely sane stable politics in region

• skillissuerM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

i’ll make it shorter for you if you don’t have attention span for a paragraph of text:

pagers are probably a war crime, but it’s relatively minor compared to airstrikes that happened since (and before)