Replacing a broken set of blinds in my house and apparently no one sells the old standard kind where you pull the cord to raise them, I guess because kids and/or pets could tangle in the cord? Bit of an education in miniblinds today.

• Kazumara
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 hours ago

I may be missing the point. How do the external venetian blinds clash with insect screens?

My father put screens in various windows in his house and still has the external venetian blinds nonetheless.

• humorlessrepost@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

I may be missing the point. How do the external venetian blinds clash with insect screens?

I’ve never had external blinds, but I’d assume the issue is being able to access them to open or close them. I suppose for a single-story house you could go outside every time?

• Kazumara
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 hours ago

Ah no, no way!

You have an articulated rod on the inside which goes through a small hole to the blind cage outside, which you turn to move the blinds up and down, and the first bit of movement in either direction affects the tilt of the blinds. The rod can be straightened when you’re not turning it and it has a plastic holder on the frame so it doesn’t dangle around.

I’m not sure if I’m describing it well, here is a picture of the rod:

And a picture of the blinds:

Nowadays more and more people put in a little electric motor with a remote control instead.