• yetAnotherUser
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I don’t know, I feel like anon’s advice is misguided at the very least.

It assumes that OOP is more or less choosing to be this way, instead of struggling with issues outside their control, be it self-image issues, anxiety, depression, money or a myriad of other things. Depending on the particukar combination and severity, anon’s situation may not change for a very long time, including forever.

I believe proper advice would focus on making them accept their situation. It’s OK to have no friends or partner(s). They are not a necessity in order to live a meaningful life. Perhaps it won’t be the most meaningful life possible but it is certainly possible to find meaning while feeling lonely. Though finding a job is somewhat important, especially if they live in countries without social welfare, they should focus on that for a bit.

I don’t have any positive stories to share on how I overcame the issues anon is facing - considering I’m in my early 20s and have nearly all the same one’s. But acceptance has helped me cope with my situation in a not unhealthy way and reduced some of the pain of loneliness and self-doubt.