• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Yes, community distros are the way to go, at least for private use. Companies might need certifications not available for e.g. Debian.

I was using Fedora happily for quite a while until I tried NixOS, and now I’m really glad about not having to worry about acquisitions or corporate decisions. Though my mums laptop runs Fedora Silverblue just fine and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Fedora is community driven, but it is tied to RH to some degree.

• Chewy
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t know specifics and it depends on each country, but there’re regulations about software having to be certified to fullfill certain conditions (e.g. security updates, permissions, etc). I guess this is probably mostly the case for defense or medical contractors.

And it’s not really that other OS don’t fullfill those requirements but mostly that they aren’t certified, at least that’s how I understand it.

I can’t really write more since I don’t know myself. The point was mostly about why some companies couldn’t just switch to another OS.