EDIT (2023-07-31T22:18:52Z): I have realized that I was not clear in my original intent for this post – it could be interepereted to mean that I am asking whether or not you could access, for example, Lemmy through the Tor browser. This is not what I meant. What I was more alluding to was if it were possible to create a sort of “hidden fediverse” that was separate from the fediverse over the clearnet. There exitsts, already, Dark Web forums, like Dread, and I wonder if those would benefit more from being federated – Lemmy seems like a good candidate for this.

Title changes: Added “More specifically, could one make a sort of “Hidden Fediverse”?”

• nothacking
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You can connect to most instances over Tor, but hosting a server over a Tor hidden service would cause problems as it can’t be connected to by stock servers. (If you convince others to run other Tor hidden service instances, they could probably federate with each other)

• Kalcifer@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You can connect to most instances over Tor

I was not enough in my original post. I was generally referring to your second point about hosting a sort of “Hidden Fediverse”.