I currently use Grafana to view how all sorts of stuff changes over time. It gets the job done, but is far from ideal:

• edititng the data queries is intended to only be done in the web ui (so I end up just copypasting stuff to/from pycharm to at least have a nice text editor)
  • can’t store config in a git repo (yes, I can dump & restore the config as a huge json, but AFAIK the json structure is considered an internal api, so it can change at any time making versioning useless)
  • all plot parameters other than the data query have to be configured via gui

I did try grafanalib some time ago and it didn’t feel right. It was quite behind in plot types (Grafana screamed at me “don’t use this plot type, use the new one instead”), and is using unofficial api (the json config again).

Any suggestions? It doesn’t even have to be a ready-to-use tool, a library/framework for making dashboards will also do.

• popcorp
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I use grafanalib. I have a script that generates the dashboards depending on given parameters, then I store generated JSON as a k8s configmap that’s mounted into the directory that’s checked by grafana on startup. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it is good enough for me.

• equidamoid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Did you ever notice that grafanalib is noticeable behind grafana itself? That’s something that turned me off it, but I wonder if it was a one-time situation because of some major change in grafana…

• popcorp
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I think you’ve just used a deprecated widget. I didn’t notice any incompatibility, maybe there’s some for beta widgets but otherwise all features I needed were there.