I’m tried of how terrible Gmail is. Id like an email client with folders or categories. If it can sort them automatically (like how Googles now defunct inbox app used to) that would be even better.

Edit: in a couple days or whenever the activity on this post slows down. I will update this post with a list of the most recommended email app.

Edit2:

Results are in: Number is the amount of people who specifically mentioned it.

1. FairMail 6
  2. K-9 5
  3. Spark 2
  4. ProtonMail
  5. Re:work
  6. Nine
  7. Tutanota
  8. Canary Mail
  9. Aqua
  • Creat
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

There are email clients that do support labels (like em mail client), but I haven’t found one where that actually syncs with the server. As far as I can tell, IMAP does support labels, but maybe the label concept isn’t the same so it doesn’t translate? Maybe it works over exchange as a protocol, but I haven’t tried.

Basically, I think it’s a limitation is the (by now) rather old protocol that’s still being used, and the lack of (well supported) alternatives?

Note that em client sports Gmail’s labels just fine, and syncs them properly, but that part only works with Gmail. Which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to ditch Gmail, but wanting labels and not folders.