I was looking at video reviews of git GUI clients. The best ones are pricey and we are two people occasionally editing some webpages for our business website. It’s hosted on GitLab Pages.

Can anyone recommend something straightforward? I’ll be sticking to the terminal but my colleague is new to code repositories.

Git GUI is free, but looks terrible IMO. Sublime have a nice one and it’s not subscription based, but is expensive. We are both on Mac usually.

Another alternative I considered was showing them the three terminal commands I use mainly (add, commit and push) and then let them edit from the file manager itself. But because they’ll be doing this so rarely, it might be easy to forget.

Edit: I’ve settled on a few to try out: sourcetree, fork, gitup and the one by Sublime. The conversation doesn’t have to end there, but thanks for the help. So many great answers here :)

• Chrissie
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Can really recommend that as well!
    It’s fairly close to the CLI in a way, unless you turn it off you even see the console in/output in a window during/after each action. To anyone that usually prefers CLI git, have a look - it’s really nice to see the visualisation of the branches in the timeline.

You can define your preferred Merge/Difftools, I really like TurtoiseMerge so that’s what I’m rolling with. For a bunch of merge tools it simplifies the config: