• cnnrduncan@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Kinda hard to buy a Framework when they don’t sell to your country! Framework laptops are only available in a handful of areas, whereas Macbooks are sold in almost every country on Earth.

• notenoughbutter@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

after using the m1 air, I’m sold on arm
      it doesn’t have fans so no complaints of noise (my old laptop gave me ptsd of fan noise and I’ve also heard framework 12th having fan noise as it has a single fan coupled with a p-series processor)

I’d love to see amd/intel make an arm chip as microsoft also seems to pick-up the windows on arm thing

• shirro@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I haven’t tried the amd mainboard yet but I have the 12th Gen Intel framework and the fan is capable of running very loud if you want to take maximum advantage of the processor performance.

Turning off turbo, running thermald etc can give you a more comfortable and quiet experience and longer battery runtime if you are prepared to give up that peak performance which is mostly not required. PC hardware sells on unsustainable peak performance tests thanks to the focus of reviewers on those numbers instead of the overall experience.

The Intel cpu gives much worse performance per watt than the m1 but the system it is in is also much easier to repair and upgrade and has much more mature open source support. It is a tradeoff.

I owned and enjoyed using an intel MacBook when they were serviceable and upgradeable. It had a long and productive life and was easily one of the best made laptops available in its time for the money. Framework might not be offering revolutionary CPUs but they make Apple’s business of selling disposable closed hardware look extremely dated. I would rather take a small performance hit until the rest of the industry catches up than spend any more of my time and money with Apple. Apple have more engineering talent and money than just about anyone which could be used to make ground breaking sustainable, repairable, open hardware and they always choose to go the other way.

I have to respect the Asahi devs for attempting to liberate apple hardware. Making systems more free is never a bad thing. It is unfortunate that systems even need to be liberated.

• ZeroEcks@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

You can disapate heat into the metal chassis without a fan, and if your CPU only generates a few watts, even at 100% this doesn’t cause it to overheat. This has been done with desktops that are.much more powerful, but it’s also been done on the new M2 MacBook air, because the m2 CPU is quite efficient. It doesn’t overheat because the case passively dissapates heat fast enough. It’s also not a performance laptop.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

that’s because apple uses arm chips which are much more power efficient than Intel and amd’s x86 chips

it mostly uses 15-20 watts or around that which is easy to dissipate than 45-50 watt Intel and amd produces which requires fan

I’ve heard even the most powerful m1 max chip doesn’t need fan when video editing (which can go for continuous 6 hrs on battery and you don’t see a performance hit when charging or on battery)

• WhiteHotaru@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

The MacBook Air with the M2 chip is fanless as well. If it gets to hot, performance is downgraded.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

yeah, apple screwed up the m2 series

but I have the m1 air and it is near perfect
              the only thing I want is a taller display like 3:2 and 15 inches maybe

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Framework is cool, but Apple Silicon is still a pretty enticing concept if you want a silent system! I have an M1 Mac Mini that doesnt make a peep of noise even when its churning out tests and compiling, but my work laptop costs 2x the price, came out the same year, and struggles in the same tasks.

Some of it is Windows and its shite scheduler. Some of it is ARM. One day RISC-V will be at the same level and we won’t have to pick :)