I started daily driving Linux since I left school this year and used it before but mainly windows because school wanted us to run Word, Teams, etc. Today I wanted to play games and haven’t set up my device for gaming and didn’t want to download the game twice (good internet). Like a good PC user I wanted to do my updates. It really sucks on windows. I had three windows updates to make, one crashed. It rebooted my device 4 times. Also I needed to update other drivers and applications. Now I really appreciate package managers more than ever before.

• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I‘m not sure what your usecase is but it sure aint mine. As a windows administrator for roughly 10 yrs now, I very much prefer linux. I‘ve had to set up tons of windows machines and a couple linux machines and working with linux is like one tenth of the hassle in every department.

Install? 1/10th of the time Upgrade 1/10th of time and errors

And so on.

Most importantly, you need to get very familiar with the powershell if you want to work at least somewhat efficient which is like delving into linux.

Like, you invest hours to understand the shell, in that time you understood linux.

I started with windows 95, later also delved in 3.0.

It has been 25 yrs on windows and most of the complexity is totally unnecessary. It‘s like if you buy a crm for your company. They are naturally grown to benefit customers and not designed well. That is how windows works imo. They kind if need a big refactor.

• MasterCelebrator@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I also use it since win 95. And really gad no Problems over the last years. Maybe the start if win10 was a little rough but after that no issues.I have used it for All kind of stuff: gaming, graphics 3d and 2d, game dev, programming, a lot of music production, writing and just tinkering around. I am no admin though, so i have no opinion on that. The only Thing where performance was bad, was on my old laptop which i Switched to Linux, but on my main PC no complaints. I do wish to switch to Linux at some point but right now some Software and Hardware i use just isnt supported, so there is really no good reason to switch now.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Thats actually a funny coincidence. Windows 95 was kinda hilarious.

So, there lies the problem then: being and admin/poweruser is very different from being a user. You make things work in different ways, make things work for others (helpdesk) who may not be as formidable in using windows.

But what I don’t understand is: if you write software, you often have to install tons of stuff which then make problems for example due to the windows firewall not updating. I thought a dev would experience that as well.

Any my personal favorites: trying to upgrade windows versions, the fucking rescue partitions on oem computers where you dont get a license key which you can use to do a fresh install but have to restore the infinitely bloated oem version.

If you work on cutting edge hardware or at least very freshly realeased hardware, the constant driver issues, having to use things like this driver tool that I forgot the name of to actually have the best drivers for your hardware and so on.

Then there was the buggy messes called me, vista and 8 which were a constant struggle against badly written code and idiotic, hard to deactivate features.

TL;DR: Windows works if you don‘t ask to be private, performant or secure.

• RoboRay@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

TL;DR: Windows works if you don‘t ask to be private, performant or secure.

Don’t forget to add “punctual”… for when you need to do something right now but you can’t because Microsoft decided to have your computer do something else instead.

• Haui
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yes! Absolutely. I can not count the amount of times where a windows update absolutely crushed my schedule.

• Sliotar@mastodon.ie
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

@Haui @RoboRay

I can count the number of times where a Windows update crushed my schedule - 0.

I’ve used Windows since Windows 3.0. I don’t need to badmouth Linux to make me feel good about my choice of OS (though I can - I’ve enough experience with half a dozen different varieties of Linux to be more than happy to just use my computers, rather than spend my time managing them).

• Haui
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Well, good for you. As I previously mentioned, I made a different experience and dozens of my clients as well.

And to comment on Linux: It is a community driven, open source product which will never be as polished as a proprietary, for profit product with thousands of sw engineers working on it full time.

Even if windows was a unparalleled experience, which it is not, it would still be privacy invasive and much less innovative as linux is.

Have a good one.

• RoboRay@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Wow, “it never happened to me so it shouldn’t matter when it happens to you” is the biggest shit-take I’ve seen today.

Bye!

• Sliotar@mastodon.ie
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

@RoboRay @Freez @MasterCelebrator @Haui

You look like something of an expert on shit-takes.

I didn’t say it shouldn’t matter when it happens to you.

But it’s hard to take seriously the comments of someone who clearly thinks they know more than they actually do. Someone who wants to use cutting edge hardware, but who isn’t smart enough to manage the drivers.