• @Michal
    link
    English
    1439 months ago

Cycling is environmentally friendly, but let’s not equate world championship to cycling as transport. The event itself must have a lot carbon footprint. Still, weird choice of event to protest, but I can see them doing what they can to get the publicity they need.

• @woelkchen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      59 months ago

The event itself must have a lot carbon footprint.

Same is true for almost every form of entertainment but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the truly big polluters.

• @nal@lib.lgbt
        link
        fedilink
        English
        109 months ago

Sources of entertainment have - by definition - more viewers and attention than Exxon’s office building.

• @woelkchen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -39 months ago

Sources of entertainment have - by definition - more viewers and attention than Exxon’s office building.

I always find it odd when people claim that something is by definition. Whose definition?

Anyway, this event is promoting cycling and disrupting a cycling event does nothing to help further promoting any form of cycling.

• @zer0@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      19 months ago

Just a few months ago i remember reading a local article about a mountain road in a protected area being paved just so they could have the cycling championship pass there. Also remember at these events there’s always a caravan of cars and scooters following the race and usually there’s also an helicopter.