• MJBrune@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s 2.6 million. The Vita sold 16 million and the PSP sold 80 million. So to put the 2.6 million into perspective with new handhelds. It doesn’t seem to have done great. The N-Gage from Nokia was 3 million sold units. The 2% is just how many Linux users on Steam there are which is absolutely inflating the numbers. The numbers I see reported specifically for Steam Decks sold are estimated to be 3 million by the end of 2023. I don’t think that many people took Linux off of their Steam deck. Also, the estimate is by Omdia which didn’t explain how they got their 2022 numbers or how they estimate 2023 numbers.

• Contend6248@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

There is a reason nobody makes the Vita 2 or a new DS, you can’t compare the market before capable smartphones with today.

Mobile gaming has shifted immensely, not even the perfect handheld can compete with devices already in users hands and more important pockets.

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The Switch is a new Nintendo handheld device. It has the exact capabilities of the steam deck in the plug-and-play sense. (E.g. both come with docks that you can just throw on a TV and start playing with.) While mobile gaming has had an impact on handhelds, I don’t think that prevents the Steam Deck from seeing the success as a regular console.